Newsletter Week 9

Our Term’s Living and Learning Focus is

CHANGE WHAKAUMU

Our School Values

Tina Justice, Pono Truth, Aroha Compassion, Manaakitanga Hospitality and Tapu Respect for the Environment

lived out in our Motto

Courtesy Care Co-operation Courage

Learning to Learn at St Joseph’s  #L2L

Key Competencies*

Capabilities for living and lifelong learning

The New Zealand Curriculum identifies five key competencies: • thinking • using language, symbols, and texts • managing self • relating to others • participating and contributing.

St Joseph’s Catholic School Takapuna Learning Model

TO KNOW       What Do I Know?                    What Do I Need to Know?

TO DO                         What Do I Need To Do?          How Do I Do This?

TO USE            How will I Use What I Am Learning?  What Other Ways Can I Use It?

“Weakness of attitude, becomes weakness of character.”

Albert Einstein

Key Competencies*

Relating to others

Is about relating well to a diverse range of people. This includes things like begin able to listen well, see different points of view, negotiate and share ideas.

Relating to others involves knowledge as well as skills, for example, your child will learn how and why people are all different from each other.

Your child’s teacher develops this key competency by doing things like:

• providing opportunities to work in different groups on tasks where different points of view can be heard, thought about, and acted on
  • In a technology class, a group of children working on developing a product will need to think about the needs of a range of users
  • In English, using a novel that has characters from a different era or country, and encouraging the children to think about why different people think and behave as they do in the story

Anya 009 Anya 010 Anya 008 Anya 007 Anya 006 Anya 005 Anya 004 Anya 003 Anya 002 Anya 001

Participating and contributing

Means being involved in things that are going on, being a good group member, contributing, including and creating opportunities for others.  We all enjoy participating and contributing – it makes us feel connected, and helps us to get the most of out our lives.

The teacher gets your child involved in real activities that are personal and meaningful to them. It is affirming for children to get to show their skills and expertise in something that they’re keen on.

The teacher also challenges your child and guides them to be involved in things that they may have some untapped potential in, or that they might not have thought to get involved in.

This all helps your child build up what is used “action competence” – being ready, willing, and able to step up, take action, and be involved in situations and in life.

Teachers foster this key competency by:

• Leadership opportunities that your child is given, in class, or in the wider school.  For example, being a reading buddy to a junior child, maintaining a worm farm, helping to organise a fundraiser for the school
  • And, even, through ‘simple’ things like asking children to work with a wide range of class mates and guiding them to understand what makes working together successful and how they can do it even better.

DSCF2777 DSCF2754 DSCF2753 DSCF2737 DSCF2736 DSCF2735 DSCF2729 DSCF2728 DSCF2727 DSCF2726 DSCF2725 DSCF2724 DSCF2723 DSCF2722 DSCF2721 DSCF2720 DSCF2719 DSCF2718 DSCF2716 DSCF2713 DSCF2711 DSCF2709 DSCF2708 DSCF2707 DSCF2706 DSCF2705 DSCF2704

The Building Programme

“Believe it, or not, we’re walking on air”…..The new buildings will be handed over to us next week! We have not yet received the certificate of occupancy but are expecting to do so by the 29th. Parents who are at Morning Prayer on Monday will be able to have a tour through. There will be other opportunities before the end of the term. Kereru Team and Homes Groups 11 & 12 from Kea Team will start moving furniture and equipment in next week. Parent help is required. The relevant parent class representatives will contact you.

Close to completion Science & Technology Stairs and Railings Fire alarm in place Looking down from upstairs Media room with blue wall

More railings

RIPPA TOURNAMENT

Mrs Bon gave me very positive feedback on the behaviour, attitude and skills of our Rippa teams taking part in Thursday’s tournament.  I have included a report from some of the players and feedback received from the coaches of one of the teams.

Rippa Field Day

On June 18, 3 teams represented St Joseph’s School in the local school cluster competition. The Year 3-4 team played 4 games, the last 2 were close together and although they were really tired they won all games played.

The 2 teams from Year 5-6 played 3 games each. The hardest game for Mr Broomfield’s team was against Vauxhall who challenged us by using expert passing and catching. However, of the 6 games the 2 teams played, we won 5 and drew one. We would like to thank our coaches for their dedication and the parents who turned up to support us.

Reported by Daniel L and Kevin P from Home Group 1, Kakariki Team 

Rippa field day 2 Rippa field day June 2015

“I’m not sure if you know that Henry and myself (with the help of Mark Lendrum) are coaching the year 3/4 Rippa Team.  I thought I should let you know that our team went undefeated (as I believe all of the St Joes teams did) in their four games yesterday.  I was so proud of their team spirit, support of each other, fair approach and behaviour during the tournament yesterday.  I believe their team focus and care to include the whole team in the games made the difference and is why we won yesterday, it was just lovely to see.”  Natalie Tofilau

A Champion Writer!

“I entered a story writing competition for under 13s.

The website is named Fabo. Write Stories. Win Prizes.

And it gives you the hook for a story and you have to finish the story. They prefer it to be under 500 words.

I entered it last week and guess what…. I WON!!!!

You can read my story here – https://fabostory.wordpress.com/writing-tips/ 

PS There is a new story competition every fortnight.

PPS Thank for believing that I had the talent to do these incredible things!”

Aoife M

Congratulations to Nadia B from Kereru Team who attended Auckland Girls Chess Championship on 17 June, which was held at Mt Albert War Memorial. She won the 3rd place in the Under 10 age category.

Have a lovely weekend.

Ka kite ano!  God bless!    Phil

2015-06-19T17:45:09+00:00 19th June 2015|