Newsletter Week Ten Term 3

Next Term’s

Living and Learning Focus is

CELEBRATE  WHAKAHARI

Our School Values

Tina Justice, Pono Truth, Aroha Compassion, Manaakitanga Hospitality and Tapu Respect for the Environment

lived out in our Motto

Courtesy Care Co-operation Courage

Learning to Learn at St Joseph’s  #L2L

St Joseph’s Catholic School Takapuna Learning Model

TO KNOW                 What Do I Know?               What Do I Need to Know?

TO DO                       What Do I Need To Do?   How Do I Do This?

TO USE                      How will I Use What I Am Learning?

What Other Ways Can I Use It?

THIS WEEK IS MERCY WEEK

Team Kereru have been busy with their Mercy learning this week.

Here is Pruna L showing Miss Woodhead and a few other Kereru learners a quiz she made on Kahoot as part of a ‘surprise me’ activity.

Miss Woodhead did an awesome job and got 7/10 on the quiz!

Kahoot Quiz

click on image to enlarge

As we sing in our school song, “Mercy sisters started our school; mercy values are our jewel: pono, tapu and tika, manaakitanga and aroha!”  We are very aware that we are a Mercy school and feel very much part of the Mercy Family. Each year we celebrate this in a variety of ways. Catherine McAuley, the foundress of the Order of Sisters of Mercy, and Sister Alphonsus, the first Principal of our school, are remembered in our House Names. Children learn about them at the beginning of each year and/or during Mercy Week and also when, in Religious Education, we look at saints and inspiring people in the Communion of Saints Strand.

In the centre of our school crest is the Mercy Cross surrounded by the koru, symbolic of the nurturing family related values based on the mission of mercy and compassion. The koru design, surrounding the cross, is also symbolic of Mary, Jesus Mother, who is central to the Mercy way of living, loving and praying.

StJoseph_Takapuna_LogoCMYK-1 

click on image to enlarge

Ginger V competes in the Champion of Champions Speech Finals

We were so proud of Ginger who competed very well in the Auckland Event Monday 21st and is up there among the best!

Thank you to Anna and  The PTA Team and their helpers who  organised  a great event which raised just over $16, 000!   Thank you to all families and businesses providing great support. All proceeds will going towards our grounds development.

Term 4

·         Each teams will be presenting a different Christmas Musical, on different days, towards the end of the term- watch out for the dates in the Term Outline

·         The choir will be performimg at Kids for Kids in October; APO Christmas Concert late in November and Designer Christmas Fair in early December.

Kereru’s Trip to the Zoo

click on images to enlarge

zoo 2 zoo1 zoo3 zoo4 zoo6

I am assured that this elephant is not real and no elephants have been harmed so that this photo could be taken!!!

Did You Know?

(Awesome Facts we learnt from our Zoo Trip)

Names

Fact

Mrs Lambert

Archey’s Frogs don’t go through a tadpole stage. They go straight to a froglet stage

Abigail & Xin Ang

Tuataras can hold their breath for 1 hour.

Fergus & Cash

Geckos lick their eyes instead of blinking.

Hugh & Luke

Tuataras Shed their skin and then it grows back again.

Marti & Marita

The Tuatara has one more eye underneath its skin so it does not belong to the Lizard family.

Alec & Harrison

I never knew that the spider monkeys only have four fingers and they don’t have a thumb.

I didn’t know that tuataras have a third eye when they are babies and then skin grows over it when they are older.

Mattie & Jayden

The zoo is finding kiwi eggs and putting the eggs into a safe place and once they are old enough they release them into the wild

Hannah & Gabrielle

The Kereru is the only bird that can eat karaka seeds.

Angela & Paige

Lizards and tuataras look the same but they are not.

Josh and Chris

The Tuatara are becoming extinct because the ground is getting warmer. When the ground is warmer they have boys so at the moment they are only having boys and boys can’t have babies

Chase & Levi

Tuataras put their eggs in burrows.

Macy and Luna

The tuatara lays eggs underground and if it’s cold it lays a girl and if it’s hot it lays boys. The earth is turning hot so there are more boys than girls so they might become extinct because boys cannot lay eggs.

TJ & Dani

The Sumatran tiger can jump up to 4 and a half metres high

Kevin

I never knew that a tuatara can stay still for so long and I didn’t know that a tuatara has a third eye

Quikhit Tournament (Cricket)

Two Year 5/6 teams and one Year 3/4 team took part in this tournament on Monday 14 September.  The teams were coached by Darren Shand, Carmina Smith, Matt Williams and Sarah Maling. Thank you so much to these parents and to Carmina and coaches for managing the teams on the day.

Darren’s Year 5/6 team won three games and lost one.

Carmina and Matt’s team won three games and lost two.

Sarah’s team won all their games.

RIPPA RUGBY CHAMPIONS

Our Year 5 & 6 Rippa Team, competing in a Curtain Raiser at North Harbour on Sunday, played like
 champions and won the cup.

click on image to enlarge

IMG_5374[1] IMG_5376[1] IMG_5385[1] IMG_5387[1] IMG_5389[1]

A big thank you to Adele for coaching, managing and organising!

Congratulations to Calli Romano, who is playing the violin with the APPA orchestra!

NETBALL CHAMPIONS

Congratulations to the Year 3 Superstars who were unbeaten and won the A Grade at the Netball North Harbour End of Season Tournament.  Thank you to their coach, Bernadine!

Some More Photos from the Blessing and Opening

Photographer Raewyn Solomon

click on image to enlarge

IMG_0041 IMG_9858 IMG_9857 IMG_9850  IMG_0057 IMG_0056IMG_0046 IMG_0045 IMG_0044IMG_9849IMG_0039 IMG_0038 IMG_0037 IMG_0032IMG_0027 IMG_0026 IMG_0023 IMG_0022 IMG_0021 IMG_0020 IMG_0014IMG_0013 IMG_0011 IMG_0002 IMG_0001

The Creepy Rollercoaster

By Matthew B Home Group 1 Kakariki Team.

I am stumbling on my feet trying to get away from this big creepy thing known as a giant. There’s nothing I can do other than run and scream in fear. Hey look! Light! And a roller coaster! What are the odds of that happening? He’s gaining on me! I’ve got to get away from this monstrous beast. My bones are shattering, running away from this beast. Imagine what will happen when he gets close to me………….My ribs are shattering bit by bit. WOAH!!!! Here comes the big corner, here we go again. Oh no! I wasn’t holding on. I have fallen out. HELP!! Mua ha ha. He’s getting closer. What am I going to do? I might be stuck here forever, AHHHH (Screams like a girl) Lucky there is nobody here. The giant giggles, ”You scream like a little, little girl” he says in a high voice. You speak like a little, little two year old. Hey don’t make fun of me when you scream like a little girl as they start to claw and hiss like a cat and snake. Go roller coaster! Go don’t make me fall out thisss…. woahhh…. time….. another big corner! I held on this time, but wow that was a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting. Mate I’ve got to be dreaming. Let me just check, ow why am I hitting myself? Stop, stop, stop. Oh no. Oh no, it’s getting closer. Here comes the clown mouth, ahhhhh! It got in my eyes. Any tissues? Wait, I forgot nobody is here. “Here you go” as the giant hands him a tissue. You’re not such a bad giant. Yes I am!!! Ahhhh. OMG….man, you look so good with that new haircut and the suit. Well I want to look good when I capture you and eat you for dinner. My mum’s waiting and she will starve to death. Hey, you could have told me, I could have given you me. Look she’s looking at you. Hah made you look! Made you look! Made you lose your UNDERWEAR!! Whew I got away; nope maybe I didn’t. Goooo faster you stupid roller coaster. This roller coaster is going way too sloooow. Wow “Is that better?” the roller coaster says. “Who said that?” ”ME” the roller coaster says. Oh no! Where are you going? Oh no! I’m trapped. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!………….

Home groups 7 and 8 shared their inquiry learning today with each other. We have been busy

learning about an endangered animal that we are passionate about saving all term and today we got

to share it with each other. We had a variety of presentations from iMovie’s to slides to posters! 

image[1] image(2)[1] image(3)[1] image(4)[1] image(5)[1] image(6)[1] image(8)[1] image(9)[1] image(7)[1]

May you all have a safe and happy holiday, all staying well, and having a great break so that everyone is ready for an energetic and fun-filled Term Four!

Ma Te Atua Manaaki!  God Bless!   

Phil

2016-02-06T16:12:44+00:00 25th September 2015|