Newsletter Week 10 2016

Our Living and Learning Focus for Term 3, continues as

CARE   ATAWHAI    KUMANU

…this time with an emphasis on Wellbeing Hauora

We will be focusing on Wellbeing Hauora –

Te taha tinana healthy bodies

Te taha hinengaro healthy minds

Te taha wairua healthy spirits/souls

Te taha whanau healthy family and social relationships

Inclu

ed in the learning will be: The Olympics, Life Education, Keeping Ourselves Safe –including cyber safety, Myself and Others, Cross Country, Swimming (Years 0-3)

Our School Values, which we are all aiming to live by, are

Tina Justice, Pono Truth, Aroha Compassion, Manaakitanga Hospitality and Tapu Respect for the Environment

Lived out in our Motto

Courtesy Care Co-operation Courage

The Learning Model for our school is: “To Know To Do To Use”

Learning to Learn at St Joseph’s  #L2L

Maori Language Week

Te Reo Tautoko – behind you all the way

He Wiki i roto i te Māori

( A Week in Maori )

Written by : Janine Orjalo

School Reporter, Year 6 Kakariki Team

This week is Maori Week and the children at our school have been learning Maori words and phrases as part of their general learning. Some teams have made their reading for a time of activities that are able to increase their knowledge about the Maori people. Kakariki team have been set with these ‘thinker’s keys’ that get us to research about maori culture and their history.
The teachers instruct and greet us with simple maori phrases. They are easy to pick up but are sometimes complicated to remember. The thing I mostly learnt about is their creative carvings and they all have a unique and special meaning. I hope the whole school has enjoyed learning about a fascinating culture.

SHARING THE LEARNING in KIWI TEAM ON MONDAY

IMG_1294 IMG_1295 IMG_1296

IMG_1297 IMG_1298 IMG_1299

Religious Education Learning

“Learning Strand – CHURCH – Community of Disciples – TE WHANAU A TE KARAITI

Learning Focus: Belonging

We belong to and participate and celebrate in communities such as our family-whanau, our school and our parish. The Church is a community of Christ’s followers or disciples called together by the Holy Spirit to carry on Christ’s mission in life today

Home Group 9 from Kakapo Team visited the Church to find out more about everything there and they met Monsignor David and had plenty of questions for him to answer!

Home Group 3 from Kakariki joined the parish and their parents to celebrate Mass, with Monsignor David, last Thursday at 12.15. Home Groups 4, 5, & 6 from Kereru Team also joined the parish and their parents to celebrate Mass with Monsignor David, on Tuesday this week.

R.E. Speech

Tapu/Care for the Environment

By: Reuben P Year 6, Kakariki Team, HG1

Look outside the window. Think about all of those beautiful trees. Imagine the fields that we play on and all of the nature around it. That is our environment and we are destroying it gradually, you may not know it, but you are a part of the problem. And by the way, if you doubt one of my facts you can look it up on FACTSLIDES, F-A-C-T-S-L-I-D-E-S, one of my favourite websites on facts.

Jesus has called us all to be caring towards the environment and to take care of it. We have responded, but now we need to respond in a good way, a way that will strengthen the environment and respect Jesus’ call.

Next, what say we talk about the things we do to the environment that hurts nature and shows ignorance for Jesus’ call. People are always doing things carelessly, tugging off leaves from trees, jumping into bushes while playing and especially dropping their rubbish, which I will now talk to you about.

Rubbish is a major part of the problem in our world that is breaking down the environment even though it is preventable. I seriously want each and every one of you and even me to stop leaving our filthy waste behind. Even if someone else accidentally drops their own, you can help the environment by picking it up and putting in the bin. It’s as easy as that! Did you know that one ton (907 KG) can save 682.5 gallons of oil, 7,000 gallons of water and 3.3 whole cubic yards of landfill space? I also figured out that recycling a single plastic bottle can create enough energy to keep a 60 watt light bulb running for 6 hours, that’s unbelievable!

How would you feel if you were using up all your strength just to run away from a hunter who wants you for money? Think about it. That is what it feels like for innocent animals in the wild. A fact I found on the web states that over the last 500 years, 322 animals have been driven to extinction, just because of humans and by the way, that’s you and me and everyone else in the world that takes too many things for granted. Another fact I found says that every single second, 1,776 animals die just for food! That means that every single year wait for it… wait for it… wait for it… 56,007,636,000 animals die every year for food, my mind is still upside down from when I read that. This fact will knock you out, if you’re an average meat-eater, you will eat around 7,000 whole animals in your lifetime, if your lifetime’s decent. You won’t believe this but it is true, 60,000 animals die because of over 16,000 religious festivals in Spain! Okay, that’s probably enough on animals.

Another point of mine is that global warming and climate change is a core part of the pollution. In fact, 1 in 6 animal and plant species could become extinct because of global warming. 37% of Americans think that global warming is fake and 64% think that global warming will not affect themselves. Isn’t that terrible? If you’ve ever heard of the Marshall Islands in the Central Pacific Ocean, I should probably inform you that they will be gone if we warm the planet by 2 degrees Celsius and, if we’re talking about rising sea levels, I’ll tell you that since 1870, global sea levels have risen 20 centimetres. Global warming needs to be stopped.

We are also part of the environment, all of us humans, even the ones who are not your best friends and we need to take care of one another, ever heard of J.O.Y., it means Jesus first, Others second and Yourself last, think of it, J.O.Y. I think that there are things we can stop such as bullying, child abuse, street fights and several other things.

The environment is our home and is getting destroyed so are you with me?

I don’t want to protect the environment. I want to create a world where the environment doesn’t need protecting.                                               -Anonymous

Extracts from some writing by students in Kereru and Kakariki Teams

A Friend For Life  by Maia T
“Fear pulsed through me and agony followed. The savage Doberman that was attacking me took another strike at my throat. I stumbled to the ground. My whole body felt hot and sticky with blood. My eyes rolled into the back of my head as I drifted into unconsciousness.”

THE DAY MY HEART BROKE     by Skyler A         Year 6 Kakariki Team           

February 19, 2016

“There were tears glistening in Grandpa’s eyes and I knew why. My mind was racing with panic. Nancy didn’t seem to care but then she was only two. My heart dropped with every passing second. Would this be it?

Mum and Dad were out at dinner and Wanda (our au pair) was putting Nancy to bed. That meant that I was all alone in my room which was where I spent most of my time these days. I was feeling lonely when suddenly my phone beeped and as I read the text my heart filled with joy. Grandpa was coming home!

February 20

I was so happy that I was literally screaming with excitement! My happy feeling disappeared though when I saw Grandpa’s pale face and shaky knees. He may have come home but he was still incredibly ill and weak so he needed to rest. We spent the next hour chatting when suddenly the most amazing brainwave hit me. A special thing I could do for Grandpa!”

Darkness of the Unknown  by Jerolin (Year 6)

“He clung on screaming. Waves started pushing him down. He couldn’t hold on any longer. He fell into the water and started suffocating and then he was gone…swept away by the wild water. Matthew saw the helicopter hovering above the clearing and landed. We knew the copter had seen us. We clambered onto it and we were out.  We were relieved but devastated our friend Jack had not made it out.”

Fatal fire – written by Alex in  Kereru

“The blazing forks of fire,

zipped through the sky,

boom! Another screaming bolt hit earth,

And then it stopped.”

Deadly Lightning   by AJ aged 8 from Kereru Team

“Boom! Crash! Kaboom!!

lightning is awesome!

It is beautiful but deadly,

Fascination makes us stay.”

Basketball News!

Congratulations to the St Joe’s Raptors who won the Champion of Champions! Great win last night for the team!  3 hard fought games against the 2 top teams from the Breakers and Chelsea – with a narrow win securing victory!! Boys exhausted but stoked.

Champion of Champions

Market Day!

P1070949 P1070950 P1070951 P1070952 P1070953 P1070958 P1070959

On the 6th of July Kakariki team hosted a market day at school in total we raised $1,766.00, here’s what we thought of it…

We thought it was very successful and taught us a lot about running a business and co-operating together to make an organised business. All the kids enjoyed the games and everyone got prizes, so no kids missed out.

We have asked for some feedback from some kids who were either selling or buying:

Tom O’Neil Year 3: “It was really fun with a lot of choice. The kids were really involved. The games were at a very good price so that everyone could play everything. “   

Violet Behrent Year 1: “ I enjoyed all the games because they were exciting and you can win cool prizes.”

Charlie Ryder Year 3: He thought it was really fun and the older kids created fun enjoyable games. Or we could have some games down by the Sports Shed.

James Marshall Year 6: “I thought that all the games were well set out and everyone enjoyed the games. The Kakariki Team showed a lot of energy and attracted all the younger kids.”

Mateo Roa Year 6 : “I thought it was a great experience for us year 6s;  we had to plan our time effectively and think about what the juniors would enjoy, but next time I would try to advertise more. “

Jack Macnaught Year 6: “I thought that it was really successful and we all learnt lots about managing a business. The younger kids loved winning cool prizes.”

In conclusion ,all the Kakariki kids did a really good job at making and planning their businesses.

The juniors agreed that they loved the market day and would like another one soon. We thought that market day was definitely the highlight of term 2.
By James, Mateo, Theo, Noah and Jack.

Congratulations to Skyler Anderson!

She was presented with a Sir Peter Blake Young Leaders Award by the Manager of the Takapuna Westpac Bank.

IMG_0778 IMG_0782 IMG_0784

Reactions from Skyler’s peers:

“I am happy- excited! It is well deserved. She uses her initiative. Little kids all love her.” Olivia M

“Skyler is a good role model, a hard worker, she perseveres and looks out for others.” Mateo R

Home Group 1 members are all very proud of Skyler A well-deserved award!

FINDING DORY

A fabulous night out at the movies, thanks to our wonderful PTA!

IMG_1782 IMG_1784

STRIKE PERCUSSION

Children from Kea, Kakapo, and Kereru were invited to go to this performance at Rosmini College.

Drumming at Rosmini future band members

Some children from team Kereru also got to stay for a 50 minute workshop with the Strike drummers.

Thank you, Rosmini. That was fun!

We wish Diana Luxon all the best as she makes the change to Stella Maris. A very big thank you to her for all she has contributed to our school over a 10 year period, coming here from Christchurch, as a beginning teacher and leaving us an experienced teacher who is mother to two lovely children! As she said yesterday, “I think I have grown up a bit over the past 10 years!”

Kia waimarie Diana!

Diana Luxon

I will be returning to school on 1 August.

Erika Bon will be acting Principal in my absence.

Term 3 starts at 8.50 on Monday 25 July.

Have a wonderful holiday! Stay safe at home, on the roads, online…everywhere! Remember to pray for Mr Wannenburg every day.

Ka kite ano! 

Phil

2016-07-08T09:34:55+00:00 7th July 2016|