Sports Edition – 20 October , 2023

ST JOSEPH’S CATHOLIC
SCHOOL
TAKAPUNA

WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS LATEST SPORTS EDITION:

• Basketball
  • Netball
  • Flippa Ball/Splash Polo
  • Hockey

BASKETBALL

Basketball St Joe’s Rockets Year 1 and 2

It was fun, I liked shooting, I feel joyful when I get it in. We get candy at the end of the game. We made friends with our team mates. I got better at shooting goals because I started using the backboard. I got better at dribbling along the court, I got faster.
By: Sage & Ryker

Basketball St Joe’s Nuggets Year 2 and 3

I like it because it’s fun and I like running and shooting. I’ve meet some new people and made some new friends. I got better at dribbling the ball and I got better at passing. We have had to learn new rules, we had to wear different coloured wristbands and we had to mark the player on the other team that had the same colour band as you. You could only take the ball of the player. When you do really well you can get a trophy or a chocolate bar. Everyone gets lollies at the end of the game.
By: Maya & Elliot

Basketball St Joe’s Knicks Year 3

I got better at shooting, it was my first time shooting. I improved on my dribbling skills, the people were pretty hard to get past so I had to improve. I was good at passing and I got more friends. I liked my team, they were nice. Every week we got a Player of the Day trophy. I like doing sports, its one of the good sports. I like playing a ball sport and shooting. I didn’t like the wristbands, I didn’t like defending one person, I wanted to defend anyone.
By: Daniel & Harrison

Basketball St Joe’s Lakers Year 3

It’s been a good season. The thing I like is that we had only won 3 times but I’m still proud of it. Some games we lose and some we win, we accept both and have fun. The goal of the game is to have fun. I got better at defence and passing. I got better at crossovers and blocking the tall players. We like how we play with our friends and have fun and enjoy the game.
By: Liam & Lino

Basketball St Joe’s Raptor’s Year 2 and 4

It is going good, we’ve been winning all our games. It’s fun and shooting hoops is good. I like playing in a good team. We have good teammates, everyone is friendly and helps out. I’ve improved my passing and I’ve improved my shooting by getting closer and under the hoop.
By: Azariah & Indi

Basketball St Joe’s Hornet’s Year 4

I liked playing but I didn’t like wearing the wristband, they tell you who your partner is. Our best game was when we played a team that had bet us before, we won in a shootout. Throughout the season we learnt to pass better and work as a team. You need the right aiming point to score. I really like playing with my school friends. I didn’t like having to mark one person because sometimes they are really tall.
By: Kallen & Tarquin

Basketball St Joe’s Warriors Year 5

We had a good season but not the best. We have been playing lots of year 6’s. I like shooting and enjoying the game. It’s fast and keeps my legs fit for rugby. We have a laugh with our team. I’ve improved my shooting and dribbling. I need to improve my form and shooting from different positions.
By: Astyn & Harry

Basketball St Joe’s Magic Year 5 and 6

It’s fun, hanging out with my friends and working as a team. I like the feeling when the shot goes in. The first season we came second and we lost by 1 point, we were undefeated before that. We go better at teamwork and communication, everyone knowing where they need to be and their positions. My layup got better and my defence. Our coaches were great!
By: Tate & Joseph

Basketball St Joe’s Heat Year 6 Mixed

It was a really good season, we lost a few games but we had really good team morale. I enjoyed playing with my friends and scoring goals. The team got better at passing, at the start we weren’t so good but later on we made more direct passes. The season with the level of skill our team had we went pretty well, we lost some games but we won some, it was about 50/50. I love the team work it involves. You gain a bunch of skills and techniques. The team got better at shooting, passing and dribbling skills. I got better at playing defence.
By: Jacob & Milan

NETBALL

Netball St Joe’s Twinkle Toes Year 1

It was fun. At the end of netball you always get a lolly. I liked being able to steal the ball by jumping in the air. We played with other girls from our school, we were all friends. Over the season I got better at shooting because I practiced at home. I got better at passing and catching. I got better at defending by the end of the season. I got faster because I wasn’t good at running before.
By: Juliette, Ninoshka & Elliana

Netball St Joe’s Red Ferns Year 2

It was really challenging and we had great fun, it was fantastic. I liked getting the ball and passing to my teammates. At the end of the season we got to wear mufti. I liked learning new stuff. I think I got better at shooting, using the circle. I got better at passing, chest passes. I got better at shooting and passing. I like netball because I don’t have to go to my brother’s boring soccer.
By: Tilly, Edie & Yve

Netball St Joe’s Shooting Stars Year 3

It was fun playing with my friends. Sometimes we had to play in the rain and we got drenched. Every week we someone got Player of the Day. we got a trophy and lollies. I liked practices and games and playing with my friends. We played year 4’s in our last game, it was hard but fun. I liked my coaches, one was my Mum. We played in the rain and the sun, the rain was fun because we got extra cuddles and it was annoying because my shoes got wet.
By: Olivia & Capri

Netball St Joe’s Year 4

We like netball because we get to play with our friends. We won some games and lost some games. We had to get the ball down the court in 4 passes using straight or overhead passes. We liked getting to be in different positions every week. I got better at defending. I liked Centre best because you can go all over the court except the goal circle. You could get a Player of the Day trophy or a Sportsmanship Certificate if you played well, and lollies. Sometimes it was sunny and sometimes it was flooding, it was cold sometimes but we still went out and played.
By: Liv & Evelyn

Netball St Joe’s Year 4 and 5

It was a good season. We won some of our games and lost some of our games. I liked that there are different positions so you don’t play the same position every time. Our team was fun and nice and worked together. I love that you get to run around a lot. Over the season I got better at defending and marking more. I like when I sometimes get to shoot from far away.
By: Isabel B & Lydia

Netball St Joe’s Mystics Year 4 and 5

We had a good season and the team definitely improved. We won most of the games at the end of the season. The team we spent together at training built up our friendships and made new friends. Having the year 4’s in the team gave them the confidence to play netball. We got better at shooting, we had to do 100 shots if we were shooting that week. The whole team improved passing down the court and I improved not moving my feet when I had the ball. We learnt that playing isnt about winning its about having fun. We learnt resilience when we fell down and got back up and kept playing and persistence playing even though it was hard. When we had practices with the other team we all felt like one big team not two separate teams.
By: Millie, Chloe D & Chloe K

Netball St Joe’s Year 6

I like playing a sport I love and play it competitively against other teams. We liked playing with other girls from the school and working as a team. We all supported each other and if someone made a mistake it was ok. I got better at defending and jumping for the ball. I got better at getting into space. Netball is a fun interactive sport that gets you moving and is good fro fitness. Its one of teh sports you have to really work as a team, you have to connect more, instead of playing individually.
By: Michaela & Alessandra

Netball St Joe’s Mystics

As a year 4 in a year 5 team, at first, I felt awkward but over time I settled in, along with JK. The year 5’s helped us and the coaches too. Our team, The Mystics played so well together and Amanda is the best coach. We came third overall in the B grade and we got to attend the prize-giving at Pinehurst. We even played two A-grade teams, we did not win, but we had fun. Fun matters more than winning.

By: Scarlet

Netball St Joe’s Tactix

This year’s 5 and 4’s 2023 netball was amazing! We were separated into 2 teams, the 2 teams were The Mystics and The Tactix. In the Tactixs we had coach Clara. There are 7 positions in netball. They are attackers and defenders, the attackers are goal shoot(GS), goal attack(GA), wing attack(WA) and center(C) (which is an attacker and defender). The defenders are goal keep(GK), wing defence(WD), goal defence(GD) and center (C) (which is an attacker and defender).We had to rotate every time because we couldn’t just choose what positions we wanted. We would know what positions we were in every Tuesday when we trained. We have 4 quarters in our game. In other sports they call their referee “referee” but we call them umpire. We worked very hard every game and never gave up and did a lot of teamwork. I made heaps of new friends when I joined netball. We had loads of fun. We even sometimes had to play in the rain, even when it was sunny. We sometimes lost against tall people but we had fun playing.

By: Isabella

FLIPPA BALL/SPLASH POLO

Newbies Splash Polo St Joe’s Orca’s Year 2 and 3

Flippaball exercises our bodies and we got to get in the water. We meet new people and made new friends in our team. We liked playing with our friends and getting lollies. I got better at swimming. I helped the goalkeeper all the time.
By: William & Noelle

Flippaball St Joe’s Swordfish Year 3 and 4

We have the finals this weekend. I like defence because it helps out the team lots. I got better at being attack and getting goals and learning to pass and blocking. I got better at scoring and attack. I like Flippaball because I like swimming and it’s a fun sport to play. I like Flippaball because it’s time to spend in the water that’s not the ocean with waves, it’s an opportunity to move your body. I recommend playing Flippaball if you like swimming, team work, and ball sports. We liked having our friends play with us, we had a good team.
By: Harvey & Louie

Flippaball St Joe’s Marlin’s Year 5 and 6

We went ok, we were in quite a high grade, we lost a few of our games. Everyone was pretty good at working together. I got better definitely at passing, I can pass from one side to the other now, also stopping the ball as a goalkeeper. The team got better at passing and thinking faster about what to do. We are definitely not fouling as much and when we are in goal we can stop a goal. I got better throwing the ball harder.
By: Nathan & Noelle

Flippaball St Joe’s Sharks Year 6

Our season has been pretty good, it’s really fun. We have occasionally had any players and have been destroyed. We came fourth this season. We had a few good comebacks, some of the even games went to golden goal, they were exciting to play. We need to work on being player aware and defence and more team decisions. I got better at my decision making and I got better at swimming with the ball.
By: Lucca & Jeremy

HOCKEY

Hockey St Joe’s Red Sticks Year 5 and 6 Mixed

The season was pretty good fun. The games we lost weren’t that fun, I think we came third which is pretty good. Our team was actually pretty good, even though some hadn’t played before, they all had good things they could do. Practices were fun even though they were early in the morning. The coach was so nice. The team got better at passing the ball around and goal scoring and at the structure. I got better at defence because I’m usually a striker. This season helped me learn how to play hockey, hold the stick properly and move it. It was fun and I convinced my friend to play too. The team got better at passing to everyone. I got better at dribbling the ball, rotating it and running with the ball.
By: Michaela B & Louie

2023-10-20T10:26:59+00:00 20th October 2023|