Newsletter Week Eight Term 3 2016

Daffodil by Annette Woodhead

Photographer Annette Woodhead

Daffodil Day

Thank you so much for choosing to make a donation to Cancer Society. Your gift is a powerful way to help the 1 in 3 New Zealanders affected by cancer. What you have given will make a significant difference and is greatly appreciated.

If you would like more information about how your gift will transform lives please visit our website www.cancernz.org.nz, or for patient information phone the Cancer Information Helpline 0800 CANCER (226 237).

The cancer journey is not easy, but your gift will bring comfort and hope – extending a helping hand to cancer patients and families.
Thank you again for your support. With your help there is HOPE.

Kind regards,
Cancer Society of New Zealand.

CANS FOR CHRISTMAS

A fantastic response thank you!

Kiwis Can!   Kiwi’s Cans!

Kiwi Cans

And More Cans More cans P1070972 STack of Cans Together we can We Can

Our Living and Learning Focus for Term 3,

continues as

CARE   ATAWHAI    KUMANU

… with an emphasis on Wellbeing Hauora

Te taha tinana healthy bodies

Te taha hinengaro healthy minds

Te taha wairua healthy spirits/souls

Te taha whanau healthy family and social relationships

Included in the learning have been: The Olympics, The Paralympics ,Life Education, Keeping Ourselves Safe –including cyber safety, Myself and Others, Cross Country, Swimming (Years 0-3)

Our School Values, which we are all aiming to live by, are

Tika Justice, Pono Truth, Aroha Compassion, Manaakitanga Hospitality and Tapu Respect for the Environment

Lived out in our Motto

Courtesy Care Co-operation Courage

The Learning Model for our school is: Learning to Learn #L2L

“To Know To Do To Use”

PMP today PMP

Religious Education

Mercy Week will be celebrated next week 

– Mass on Friday 9.15

CATHOLIC SCHOOLS CROSS COUNTRY

14 Schools took part. It was a superbly organised event run by the staff of Monte Cecilia School. A great day was had by all. Thank you to parents who helped out. Congratulations to our competitors!

the cup The Team

Image-2 X Country         Image-3 X C         Image-4 XC          Image-5 XC

Cross Country by Alessia Martin, Kereru Team

The fresh air breezed across my face. Wow! The killer hill was like a hike of pain. Dust swooped surrounding me. The sun persisted to gaze upon me.

No time to waste, it was my turn to race. My head was about to explode into little tiny grains.

‘’Uh oh, my body needed to go to the loo, but the races were about to start.’’

When the gun went off, my feet started to zoom ahead. My breath started to Huff! Puff! Huff! Puff! The killer hill, my worst fear. After one lap I thought it was over; nope my head must have been in the clouds, two laps, yup!

Have you ran up two killer hills while versing seventy people?

After 1.4 km my face puffed up like a puffer fish. My feet started to shake and shiver. Finally it was over! Here come the lollies! My mouth got shoved with lollies and with one gulp the lollies were gone, giving me more energy.

Nadja came 6th, Isabelle came 12th, and I came 16th, Claire came 51st, Amber came 52nd. St Joseph’s won the cup!  For me, 16th out of seventy people! yeah it’s all right. Woo hoo!  Every person’s effort contributed to making us the winning team.

Overall winner of THE TROPHY St Joseph’s Takapuna
Second Mt Carmel
Third St Mary’s Ellerslie
Fourth St Ignatius
Fifth St Michael’s
Sixth Marist Mt Albert
Seventh Marist Herne Bay
Eighth St Joseph’s Orakei
Ninth Holy Cross Henderson
Winning teams
Year 3 Girls St Mary’s Ellerslie
Year 3 Boys St Joseph’s Takapuna
Year 4 Girls Mt Carmel
Year 4 Boys St Ignatius
Year 5 Girls St Joseph’s Takapuna
Year 5 Boys Good Shepherd
Year 6 Girls Marist Mt Albert
Year 6 Boys St Joseph’s Takapuna

Catholic Schools Cross Country  CSCX4 CSCX5 CSXC CSXC2

Individual Results are published in the newsletter version attached to The Week Ahead

TRIVIA NIGHT

Congratulations and Thank You to our wonderful, hardworking PTA – Friends of St Joseph’s, who, yet again, organised a fun and entertaining night on Friday!

I have no photos to share unfortunately!

Thank you to those who supported the night and were so generous in helping us fundraise for more outdoor seating and shading.

Participating and Contributing in our Local Community!

Beach Clean Up 2 Beach Clean Up

Takapuna Beach Clean Up

Report   by Brooke Templeton (8) Kereru Team

We walked the exhausting 2km there and back.

My mum was one of the adult helpers. Daniel suggested to think of group names. The, “DESTROYERS”, is what we came up with.

Everyone gasped at the sight of the terrific Takapuna Playground.

We all got gloves and launched off the side of the stone wall with the sand below.

We found string, broken glass, cigarettes, plastic, and even gloves! We climbed the rocks and my stomach told me to look for secrets under rocks and between them. It turns out there were heaps and heaps of them!

After that, there wasn’t another piece of rubbish that wasn’t secretly snatched by everyone else.

We wildly plunged onto the playground, but the one that called my name was the… HAMSTER WHEEL!!!

.image beach      image Kereru beach

Beach Clean Up News Report   by Xin Ang (Kereru Team)

A shimmering golden beach is perfect for building a sand castle. But that was not what Kereru and Kakariki were there for. The beautiful beach was spoiled by bottle caps, cigarettes, rope and even chocolate wrappers! That’s right, the beach needed to be cleaned. That was our task. Walking for 2.4 kilometres was exhausting! When we finally reached the beach, we got split in to our former groups. Big black bags were given out to our parent helpers and one glove handed out to each child.

Cleaning for two whole hours was surprisingly pleasant. To finally see a part of Takapuna beach free of rubbish was satisfying. Even though the trip was tiring, it was worth it.

Shells sparkled in the blazing sun. Slippery rocks showered with barnacles had most of the litter stuck in between them. One of the items found was a metre green rope. Little blue plastic balls were hidden well under the glistening gold sand. A smashed green bottle was found by my team. Scattered pieces surrounded a three metre square area.

My team’s goal was to fill a whole black bag. Weirdly, the beach was pretty clean!

This day, the 13th of September 2016 was organised by a local community board. St Joseph Takapuna seniors, Kereru and Kakariki, were invited to clean up a part of Takapuna beach.

In my opinion, everybody should participate in a beach clean-up for experience and to improve a fraction of the environment.

Takapuna Beach Clean Up

Meeting the Filipino Ambassador

Written By: Janine Orjalo

School Reporter, Year 6 Kakariki Team

On Monday, Jesus S. Domingo, the Philippine Ambassador came to Auckland to speak to a big group of Filipino students from our school and Rosmini College. The people who were able to meet the Ambassador were, Cavell, Ginger, Rein, Joel, Gabriel, Cheska, Riechen, Alisa, Jerolin, Calli, Ron, Heather and me. We were honoured to meet such an important person.

He spoke to us about our history with the Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and many more. He also explained to us that we may be related to the Maori, Hawaiian, Fijian, and other islands in the Pacific which I find very interesting.

Cultural Festival

On Friday 18 November, there will be a Cultural Festival with National dances and songs to enjoy which will be held at Onepoto School. Our school will be performing a Filipino dance at this event. There might be some new delicious foods for you to try and we hope to see you there!

Have a lovely weekend.

God bless!

Phil

2016-09-16T13:05:58+00:00 16th September 2016|